Improve Development Productivity
Gitential Use Cases
How to Best Use Gitential for Your Needs
Improve your Software Development Productivity by enhancing measurement and transparency:
- Set target KPIs: track your progress and reach your goals with continuous monitoring.
- Create benchmarks: build your targets based on the best performing global organizations in your market.
- Track your progress: know where you are versus the competition.
- Follow your team’s performance and cooperation: analyze insights per team-size, per language, per industry, per software type etc. Manage your team based on real insights to keep them motivated and effective.
Quickly identify if any of your programs are at risk
The efficiency of one of the programs has declined dramatically together with the implemented work. What happened?
Be ready to ask the right questions on your monthly / quarterly meetings with your team to understand how you can help resolving program delivery risks.
Identify issues of poor project performance and create plan to improve it
The CTO asks why the Microsoft project is at risk.
More developers (Contributors) are added to the team and they are working longer hours (Coding Hours), but still the effectiveness (Code Volume) and the code quality is not improved compared to last month.
Checking the repositories’ analytics, the finding is that working on one of the repositories has dropped the developer’s efficiency.
While checking the performance driver metrics, it’s visible that this project’s code complexity has risen dramatically in the last month.
Instead of adding more and more headcount to the dev team, it is better to discuss with the software engineering leads what specific skillset they are missing from the team that makes the implementation more difficult.
Keep your team together
Junior developers became part of the team. How should we improve their performance?
Moritz is a newbie and while his code writing efficiency is improving (less of his code needs to be re-written) he is getting slower writing code.
Checking out the team’s collaboration mapping we can see that Moritz is only collaborating with Ioki, who is a new joiner too.
Find a high-performer mentor to Moritz in the team so he can grow into a better performer though internal guidance.
Find knowledge gaps for developers to grow
The efficiency of one of the best software engineers just decreased dramatically. He committed less code but with higher error rate. What happened?
Let’s look at Martin’s performance
- He is a very good performer, but he didn’t really collaborate with the team.
- Whenever he committed in the last month, quite high percentage of the code must have been rewritten.
He didn’t implement any test lines in his commits.
His committed code complexity even dropped in the last month.
Talk to Martin and try to figure out the reason behind his performance drop. It could loss of motivation or signs of burn-out, which can be prevented when noticed in time.
Highlight the items you found so he understands he needs to use testing to improve his code quality and work more closely with his co-workers to use best practices to be able to commit more.